We now use Steam to access the forums! To sign in via Steam: Click sign In (top right) > Complete your profile (choose display name and email address). If you have any issues completing your profile, please contact KeRRR or LiMaaa so we can assist you. You can contact us on Discord or the Steam Group

Sign in to follow this  
PSYCHO

Trade Server Rule Board

PSYCHO    13

Even though the rules on the EGC trade servers are there, people tend to ignore them quite often and I feel that if they were rewritten and were structured more clearly with what you shouldn't do and the consequence in detail, it would help the server more. For Example: No Mic Spamming. Consequence: 1st Mute (30 mins), Second Mute (1 hour), 3rd Mute (6 hours), 4th Mute (12 hours), 5th Mute (24 hours), 6th Mute (Permanent). Not only would this help the server and everyone who attends it but it will be much more clear as to what you can and can't do. Not only this but they should be enforced very firmly too. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jeby    593

Your idea has some merit, I think ironing out the rules to be less than 4 pages, and changing stuff like the visual content policy, as in discord we have options to post in a nsfw channel.

As for making set rules for mute times and consequences, we do try to keep towards similar punishments, but there are so many variables that it's often up to admin discretion, and I think it should stay that way.

For instance, take mutes for mic spamming. A 1st mute 30 minutes could either be seen as not long enough or too long. Muting someone who just isn't reading chat for warnings for 30 minutes if they are just talking a bit too much or over someone without realising, but if someone who has had past warnings starts spamming music for the third time that week, 30 minutes may be too short. It also results in people forgetting the disclaimer rule of "Listen to admins" and starting flame wars with half the server if one person gets a 10 minute mute and another gets a 20 minute for similar offenses.

IMO it one of those ideas that sounds good on paper but in practice it tends to fall apart, especially if people come to the server with the aim to misbehave. Laying out rules that give someone sharp line rules is great for anyone who intends to abide by them, but then you have a group that will see that as a target to see how far they can push towards those lines and escape without punishment.

This isn't an official EGC response, just my thoughts on the topic.

PSYCHO    13

I see what you mean when you say that people will try to abuse the rules and will make bad choices just because they know that the amount of time in a mute will be a certain amount of time. Something to help this would be rewriting them to say specifically, "No Mic Spamming" instead of saying, "don't talk over others." 

Edited by PSYCHO

hazz69mcpie    319

I thing to help people understand the rules better would be also to properly format and design them to make them not a "eye sore" and to make them seem interested in the rules because of the formatting.
Things like Headings, sub-headings, font sizing, font, colour, pictured examples and other stuff.
All current guideline sections are in a:
* a boring grey background and text colour
* small font size
* a default font 
* bullet pointed

In conclusion, EGCs rules could definitely benefit way more with good formatting and design which will hopefully result in a small rise in rule educated players.

P.S. Maybe a Media Staff member could do that??? 

Refrigerator    281

To address the first point, the main reason on why the rules are left a bit loose are due to the fact that you can make a loophole around anything. Sure rewriting the rules to be word for word can be possible however people will always find issues with it. Naturally you can't expect someone to write every single possible offense so that their are not loop holes. At the end of the day, people who want to troll and mess with people will always do their thing, its just simple facts really. We definitely can do a better job at training our admins to be consistent but at the end of the day, everyone has a different tolerance. We aren't here to make a government but a community that can be fun. 

Regarding the second comment made by @Kai64its pretty obvious that you are just salty about your ban on which I would encourage you to appeal here. Its a much better place to voice your opinion toward the admins. If you have an issue with how the server is being run, please bring it up to one of the admins that you consider "chill". We'll try to watch our egos ;)

KeRRR    738

Addressing @Kai64 comments:

This is not the appropriate avenue to post your opinions about staff integrity, how we utilize donations or the violations of valve t.o.s. To address this briefly, our staff are trained and taught to operate on a non-biased level when dealing with matters, we teach them to look at facts and operate out of integrity when making decisions regarding members or the community. Our donation system complies with legislative law and valve t.o.s. We are friends of steamrep.com and always operate out of integrity and unbiased nature. Please don't make accusations without any merit or evidence. You are obviously disgruntled for being removed from this community for violating several EGC rules, noted in your ban. As @Refrigerator stated, we have an appeals section, should you want to appeal your ban, where you can make your case by providing evidence to justify why your ban is unjust and/or why you should be un-banned. You can appeal here: appealYour post was hidden as it derails the main points of this discussion.

Back on topic regarding rules:

We have simplified the motd to contain the main rule set and give a simple, easy to understand explanation of what we expect when visiting egc servers. This is usually the first point of contact of people in our community, so we focused on that first. You can view our motd here: motd. I do agree that the main rules on the forums can be simplified to be more appealing to members and outline key points, that is something that is planned in our backlog of things to get done within the community. In saying that, we have to remember that like @Jeby said, there are a lot of variables that go into rules, punishments and what you can cover. There will always be a new exploit or loophole you have to address and this is what 'over time', makes rules elongated and clunky. They have to be revisited and simplified. I think @hazz69mcpie has some good suggestions on layout and styling we can look into, but alas, nothing will make rules perfect or appealing to a lot of people, because frankly, they are rules and a majority of people overlook them.

There are some good suggestions here though and it is something we will definitely look at. I think simplicity and a restyling of the layout will be key factors, as well as having a uniform way of updating or removing outdated rule sets. Others are welcome to chime in and give their opinions.

• Upvote 1