We now use Steam to access the forums! To sign in via Steam: Click sign In (top right) > Complete your profile (choose display name and email address). If you have any issues completing your profile, please contact KeRRR or LiMaaa so we can assist you. You can contact us on Discord or the Steam Group

Sign in to follow this  
PSYCHO

Trade Server Rule Board

PSYCHO    11

Even though the rules on the EGC trade servers are there, people tend to ignore them quite often and I feel that if they were rewritten and were structured more clearly with what you shouldn't do and the consequence in detail, it would help the server more. For Example: No Mic Spamming. Consequence: 1st Mute (30 mins), Second Mute (1 hour), 3rd Mute (6 hours), 4th Mute (12 hours), 5th Mute (24 hours), 6th Mute (Permanent). Not only would this help the server and everyone who attends it but it will be much more clear as to what you can and can't do. Not only this but they should be enforced very firmly too. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Minidove    585

Your idea has some merit, I think ironing out the rules to be less than 4 pages, and changing stuff like the visual content policy, as in discord we have options to post in a nsfw channel.

As for making set rules for mute times and consequences, we do try to keep towards similar punishments, but there are so many variables that it's often up to admin discretion, and I think it should stay that way.

For instance, take mutes for mic spamming. A 1st mute 30 minutes could either be seen as not long enough or too long. Muting someone who just isn't reading chat for warnings for 30 minutes if they are just talking a bit too much or over someone without realising, but if someone who has had past warnings starts spamming music for the third time that week, 30 minutes may be too short. It also results in people forgetting the disclaimer rule of "Listen to admins" and starting flame wars with half the server if one person gets a 10 minute mute and another gets a 20 minute for similar offenses.

IMO it one of those ideas that sounds good on paper but in practice it tends to fall apart, especially if people come to the server with the aim to misbehave. Laying out rules that give someone sharp line rules is great for anyone who intends to abide by them, but then you have a group that will see that as a target to see how far they can push towards those lines and escape without punishment.

This isn't an official EGC response, just my thoughts on the topic.

PSYCHO    11
Posted (edited)

I see what you mean when you say that people will try to abuse the rules and will make bad choices just because they know that the amount of time in a mute will be a certain amount of time. Something to help this would be rewriting them to say specifically, "No Mic Spamming" instead of saying, "don't talk over others." 

Edited by PSYCHO

hazz69mcpie    314

I thing to help people understand the rules better would be also to properly format and design them to make them not a "eye sore" and to make them seem interested in the rules because of the formatting.
Things like Headings, sub-headings, font sizing, font, colour, pictured examples and other stuff.
All current guideline sections are in a:
* a boring grey background and text colour
* small font size
* a default font 
* bullet pointed

In conclusion, EGCs rules could definitely benefit way more with good formatting and design which will hopefully result in a small rise in rule educated players.

P.S. Maybe a Media Staff member could do that???