We now use Steam to access the forums! To sign in via Steam: Click sign In (top right) > Complete your profile (choose display name and email address). If you have any issues completing your profile, please contact KeRRR or LiMaaa so we can assist you. You can contact us on Discord or the Steam Group

Sign in to follow this  
Littlemadtiger

Math 101- The start

Howdy everyone. As the media staff member of EGC, I'm held to a responsibility to help around the community. For my inactivity period, it has been noticed. After some internal discussion in regards to helping out here at EGC, I've decided to regain focus into this community and actually put effort into educating those on the internet (outside of my current work and other family matters), for this community.

The reason I will be making this is simple. Who says you cannot be more educated on the internet? Why not play a few games, and at the same time be able to take in a little knowledge base on the fundamentals of math. Yeah, we all know math was the boring subject in school. The truly gifted really ever got it, and it made learning it a true 'pain in the ass'. So, why not break it down to dummy form, and make sure everyone gets it! 

I bring you Math 101- The start. This will be my introductory course on Math related topics: Fractions, Algebra, Trigonometry, Calculus, and much more that covers the math world. We won't start going into limits or differential equations right off the bat. That is a waste, and truly sucks to read. For now, I'll start with the pure basics. 

Fractions:

Image result for fraction table (Source: MathCaptain.com)

When we talk about fractions, we refer to numbers that can be converted to percentages  (ex: 1/2= 50%), and into decimals (1/2= .5). However unlike most integers, fractions are not integers. (An Integer is defined as a set of numerical numbers that are not unimaginable or fake). However, you can re-write integers into fractions.

For example, you may turn 7 into 7/1. Why the 1 there? Well, you're defining a fraction based off of 1 or 100%. If you have a whole number of 7, you have 700%, or simply just 7. If that confuses you, imagine this. You need 1 cup of water to fill a bowl in the sink. Let's say now you have 7 cups of water for 1 bowl. You now have 7 cups of water for every 1 bowl. See where we get 7/1? 

Another example. Let's say I wanted to convert 1/5 to a decimal. Okay, so we know that whatever goes into 100, has to be multiplied to make 5/5= 100%. So, we know that 20% of 100 is 20. So, 20 * 5 = 100. So, we can say now that 1/5 of 100 is 20. So, now we can finish the rest. 1/5 is 20%, 2/5 is 40%, 3/5 is 60%, 4/5 is 80%, and 5/5 is 100%.

You may also turn the fraction back into the whole number, ONLY is it asks you to give a fraction value of a whole number. For example, let's say it asks what is 2/5 of 50. Okay, so we know that we have to find a number that can go into 50, 5 times. So, 1/5 of 50 is 10, because 10 goes into 50, 5 times. Now, you can answer this question. 2/5 of 50 is 20. 

(Most professors/teachers will ask you this question, in a form like this: What is 33% of 100?. It's more or less easier to convert a whole number from a percentage. So, 33% of 100 is: 33. 

(We will further detail adding, subtracting, and multiplying fractions in our Algebra section. This will be where you will see reciprocals, whole numbers into fractions, etc. For now, this is all the basics. 

Practice problems: 

1- Write 2/6 as a decimal 

2- Write 25% as a fraction

3-What is the equivalent value (ex: decimal, fraction, etc) of 40%? 

(If you'd like, you may post your answer as included in the comment section). 

I will be adding more to this subject soon, with videos and how to's very soon. There are other websites that have the ability to teach these subjects better and clearer. Please use all the resources that are always available to you online. This is the new age we live in now, take advantage young men and women. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Minidove    585

I've done enough math that isn't relevant to exactly what i'm doing at the moment for this year, but I know you always produce good content. :100:

KeRRR    733

I think it's educational and interesting! It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but there are nerds out here who will appreciate this, if not just for the fact it may help someone understand it better.

I APPROVE!